Our next referee featured is ZogSportsDC’s very own, Marvin Yates. A dessert lover and wannabe comedian, Marvin reveals a few secrets to his fellow Zoggers.
1. Sports You Ref? Basketball, Softball and Dodgeball
2. When did you start working at ZogSports? December 2012
3. Guilty Pleasure? Sweets!!! I love cookies, cakes, donuts, and other desserts even though I shouldn’t be eating them lol
4. Hometown? Detroit, MI
5. Hidden Talent? I am secretly a comedian and have thought about doing stand-up.
6. Favorite Sports Team? I don’t have just one lol…All Detroit Professional Teams (Pistons, Tigers, Lions), Lakers and Michigan State Basketball and Football
7. If you were a drink, what would it be? Why? Cognac on the rocks, because I’m dark, strong, and smooth! lol
8. Funniest ZogSports Memory? There was a rain-out during softball season. The field was muddy and unplayable, but the teams didn’t want to leave. So they stayed hung out, played a little (unofficially) and slid around in the mud for an hr or so.
9. If someone wrote a biography about you, what do you think the title should be? Why? Veni Vidi Vici (I came, I saw, I conquered). That would be the title because in everything I do, I try to be the best, takeover and leave a lasting impression!
10. What’s on your mouse pad? I don’t have a mouse pad, maybe I should get one. (calling IT now to get one brought to my office)
11. If you could only bring three things with you to an island, what would they be? A woman (my girlfriend if Beyonce wasn’t available jk), a bottle of my liquor, and a boat so when we are ready to leave the island we can!
12. Which celebrity would you love to meet? Why? Jay Z. I appreciate, respect and admire his grind. To grow from an inner-city impoverished youth, to a successful entertainer and business man with his hand in a number of different ventures. And on top of all of that he’s married to Beyonce, has to be great!
13. Favorite Sneakers? I have a few: Jordan Retro X’s (all colors), Gucci Brown Leather GG Canvas Sneakers, Prada All Black Patent Leather Low-Top America Cup Sneakers… I love shoes!!!
14. If you had 3 wishes, what would you wish for? Wish 1: To be rich, Wish 2: To be happily successful, Wish 3: An unlimited amount of wishes
15. What’s your favorite joke? Why did the chicken cross the road?
16. What’s the worst present you’ve ever received? All white briefs (underwear) for Christmas
17. Fav food? Chicken… any kind of chicken!!!
18. Beer Pong or Flip Cup? Beer Pong, but with liquor instead of beer
19. Have you ever been in a newspaper or on tv? If so, where? Was in the newspaper all the time back in Detroit in high school for sports. Was on TV and in the newspaper in East Lansing and the state of Michigan for my efforts as a student at Michigan State trying to get a piece of legislation called “Medical Amnesty” supported passed in the State of Michigan
20. Best vacation you’ve ever been on? Why? Carnival Cruise 2 years ago to Key West, Oho Rios and Grand Cayman. Cruises are the best types of vacation if you just want to relax, see a bunch of different places briefly, and eat and drink until you are ready to explode!