Whether you’re camping out to hear your favorite band or waiting to buy the newest smart phone, it feels like you have to wait in a long line for EVERYTHING! From NYC to LA, there are lines wrapped around movie theaters, malls, sneaker stores and even Chick-fil-A! Since ZogSports loves to keep up with the latest trends, camping out has become a monthly activity for the GM of ZogSportsDC. No, Kendra is not getting a new pair of kicks! This camp out one of a kind and happens rain or shine on the first of the month promptly at 3 am! Sounds crazy…but crazy is our middle name. It’s time to let you in on a little secret– We’re headed behind the scenes in DC!
Many DC Zoggers have the privilege of playing volleyball at the Lincoln Memorial Sand Courts, but little did you know that these volleyball courts are in extremely high demand. You’re about to learn what goes on in order to acquire this high value space for every month of our DC sand volleyball season.
As the clock strikes 3:00 am, the DC crew wakes up and prepares to camp out. With charged phones and iPads, camping chairs and food, they set up shop. Some try to sleep until their alarm goes off at 6, while others engage in the friendly argument of, “Who was here first!?”
Of course, you must understand that when camped out, there is a list of unwritten rules that everyone must follow:
- The First: No saving spots! First come, first served is the motto of this permit-procurement process.
- The Second: One person can only reserve one court. While there are some lone soldiers out on these streets, ZogSportsDC needs to secure enough courts for all of our players! So, Kendra and her crew are there to get permits for all of our leagues!
- The Third: Be prepared to walk away with nothing. With only 30 spots to play volleyball throughout the week, sometimes failure is an option. (That’s why we offer a number of other great beach volleyball leagues!)
- The Fourth: Bring rain gear!
- The Fifth: 7 am = Starbucks time! Even if you and your neighbor didn’t speak all night, once the process is done, everyone deserves some caffeinated brew.
Now that you have a glimpse of what it’s like to stake out, anyone interested in joining ZogSportsDC on their next permit-procurement mission?