as you thought you were
until you’ve survived a dodgeball match with them
7) You’re never too old to make new friends
What life lesson have you learned through playing social sports?
Comment below and let us know!
What life lesson have you learned through playing social sports?
Comment below and let us know!
In case you missed it, Malia Obama was recently spotted at a party with college kids while scoping out Brown University. Sources say she was taking shots and playing beer pong and it was supes casual, because why wouldn’t it be? Because she’s the POTUS’ first born? Because she brought her entourage of secret service personnel? Psh! Whateva, she does what she wants.
What sources DIDN’T tell you is that she, being the smart girl that she is, is simply practicing for her soon-to-be, long-lasting career as a loyal Zogger. Yes, we know she’ll easily be able to land her dream job at the snap of a finger, but that doesn’t mean she’ll be able to show up her opposing kickball team in a post-game beer pong rally just as easily – that one’s gonna take some practice. And we get it, Malia. We totally get it. She has high standards to live up to and everyone is going to EXPECT her to be good at everything – even beer pong.
So, keep practicing, Malia (although practice with water cups, because we don’t condone underage drinking), and on your 21st birthday, we want you to come show us your skills! We are offering you a ZogSports season in any sport on us. And if you want to get the whole family involved, remember we have ZogSports in DC!
Malia – Come find us on July 4, 2019 and we’ll talk. Or better yet, we’ll find you. 🙂
And if YOU want to show off your beer pong skills, join a team with America’s most popular coed, social sports league!
There’s skills and then there’s SKEEEEELS.
Being that we organize and host weekly happy hours for thousands of Zoggers every week where drinking games are the main event, we better be the experts in all areas! The ZogSports team had a giant pool party yesterday, which obviously wasn’t complete without a floating beer pong table. Leading by example, check out Danielle, our soccer league manager, as she hits her [heating up, on fire] FOURTH CONSECUTIVE SHOT to win the game!
Beautiful! You can practically taste the chlorine pouring out of the tears of her opponents as they wade in disbelief. This is ZogSports and we take our fun seriously.
You can join the fun, too! Register for a ZogSports coed social sports league and enjoy post-game happy hours each week!
Warren Klein is new to the Stamford scene but is here to share how his new move turned out better than expected. He gets by with a little help from his new Zog friends.
When I moved to Stamford in September without knowing anyone in the area, I half expected to spend my evenings like an old cat lady, without the cats: talking to myself and shuffling around aimlessly. Don’t get me wrong, I have great conversations with myself, but I always know what I’m about to say and finish my own sentences, which can be frustrating since I hate being interrupted. I knew I needed to reach out into the city of Stamford and see what I could find; otherwise a trip to the looney bin may have been in order.
Enter Zog, no, not the gate keeper, nor the key master, but a great organization that sweats fun, and bleeds awesome. I found them at the recommendation of a friend from New York. This was apparently a new extension of the organization into Stamford and they clearly led with their best foot forward. The GM Devin is an effervescently bubbly league manager who is consistently seen laughing, answering questions about the league, and playing a mean game of beer pong. The refs for our games are knowledgeable and fun to shoot the sh*% with as well.
I have to say, as great as the staff is, the league itself is what makes ZogSports tick. Put simply, the organized games are designed to facilitate fun. Putting together a group of 10+ strangers can sometimes be a recipe for disaster, but I don’t think I’ve ever experienced a warmer group of people that fit together so well with so many different personalities.
We began the year on a high note, with a few of us meeting for drinks before the first game was played. This established the tone for the season: this league was about meeting young fun people in the Stamford area. The pre and post game trips to the sponsored bar became a weekly release of stress for all of us who participated in the epic “Team Dodge Burgandy” experience. Bar nights progressed to game nights at the various team members apartments, and even a Super Bowl party at my place (which admittedly was an abysmal failure because Peyton Manning forgot to put his big boy shoes on before leaving his hotel that morning). Seriously, what a terrible Super Bowl.
Through the season the hilarity continued; we discovered two of our teammates had irrational fears of the Sleepy Hollow headless horseman. We discovered our self-appointed and self-important team captain, Jay, has a deep seeded childhood trauma from a Taboo game gone wrong, and I have not seen a temper tantrum throw like that in a good 20 years: “TABOO IS THE WORST GAME EVER!” We discovered that you can lose a phone in the cracks of the bleachers; we discovered that colored headbands make us easier targets for the other team, and last but not least we discovered that we all are very happy to have met each other and participated in this league.
In an attempt to cloud source my work for this blog I emailed the whole team for input, and in an “aww” moment, we realized that what mattered most to all of us was the budding friendships we’d made, the fun we’d had, and a desire to beat the snot out of the red team who embarrassed us on multiple occasions with a coordinated attack involving misdirection, distraction and a ruthlessness unseen in Stamford since the great squirrel invasion of ’97.
I want to cap this blog entry off with my sincerest gratitude for everyone who has worked for ZogSports to make this winter so much more bearable and introducing me to my wonderful teammates (except captain Jay).
Dodge Burgandies will return stronger, faster, and better than before. Part II begins this spring.
Neil Loughrie is next on deck to share the good, the bad and the ugly with his ZogSports family. Aside from refereeing not one but two ZogSportsLA leagues, you can find him catching up on his daily dose of celebrity gossip or beating you at the happy hour bar games.
2. When did you start working at ZogSports? I started last March in the inaugural football season of Zogsports LA.
3. Guilty Pleasure? Celebrity gossip blogs. It’s like a bad car accident on the side of the road, I can’t keep myself from looking.
4. Hometown? Richmond, VA
5. Hidden Talent? I think I’m a pretty good cook, but I don’t do it very often, so I guess you could say its hidden.
6. Favorite Sports Team? Washington Redskins
7. If you were a drink, what would it be? Why? Bourbon and ginger, mostly because that’s my drink of choice.
8. Funniest ZogSports Memory? This actually happened just last week. I was reffing a game and the ball took a bad bounce and hit me directly in a certain area. I’m pretty sure everyone had fun watching me doubled over in the middle of the field.
9. If someone wrote a biography about you, what do you think the title should be? Why? Hmm, I don’t know. “From the South to the Southland” maybe… that’s how I’ve moved around so I think that works.
11. Which celebrity would you love to meet? Bill f***ing Murray!
12. Favorite Sneakers? Vans slip-ons, preferably checkerboard
13. If you had 3 wishes, what would you wish for? Health, prosperity, and to be Batman (if you can always be Batman)
14. How long could you go without talking? Not very long, maybe a day if I had to
15. What’s your favorite joke? Anything that Mitch Hedberg ever said “I’m against picketing, but I don’t know how to show it.”
16. What’s the worst present you’ve ever received? A family member sent me a neck-warmer one year…. I live in LA. I think it’s still in the packaging.
17. What’s on your fridge door? A photo-booth photo from my friend’s wedding, and invitation to another friend’s wedding, and the ticket from a Lakers game I went to earlier this year.
18. Last movie you saw? Thor: The Dark World
19. Beer Pong or Flip Cup? Beer Pong. But I’ll beat you at both
20. Best vacation you’ve ever been on? Why? Beach week after high school. All my best friends were there. It was a crazy time. We still tell stories about it
The next referee featured is ZogSportsNYC’s Keith Gitlitz. Aside from reffing, you can catch him singing along to Rihanna in the Zog HQ.
2. When did you start working at ZogSports? Fall 2008
3. Guilty Pleasure? Nashville on ABC
4. Hometown? Miami, FL
5. Hidden Talent? Keeping my talent hidden
6. What’s on your fridge door? A door handle
7. What’s the last thing you ate? A Buffalo Bang sandwich
8. What’s on your mouse pad? A trackpad
9. Which celebrity would you love to meet? Why? Sir Alec Guinness, because he’s awesome.
10. What are you listening to right now? Eminem featuring Rihanna “Love the Way You Lie”
11. Favorite Sneakers? Reebok Pumps – the original Shaq models
12. If you had 3 wishes, what would you wish for? Wish 1: Unlimited wishes; don’t need to use the other two
13. How long could you go without talking? As long as it takes
14. What’s the worst present you’ve ever received? A gun rack. What am I gonna do with a gun rack? I don’t even own a gun, let alone several guns that would necessitate an entire rack.
15. Favorite Sports Team? Miami Heat
16. Fav food? Bacon
17. Last movie you saw? Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit
18. Beer Pong or Flip Cup? Beer Pong
19. Have you ever been in a newspaper or on tv? If so, where? Yes, my photo appeared in the Miami Herald as a kid when they put a new playground in at a local park and I was interviewed before Game 3 of the Panthers-Avalanche Stanley Cup Finals and Game 3 of the Heat-Mavericks NBA Finals.
20. Best vacation you’ve ever been on? Honeymoon in Hawaii
Our next referee featured is ZogSportsDC’s very own, Marvin Yates. A dessert lover and wannabe comedian, Marvin reveals a few secrets to his fellow Zoggers.
2. When did you start working at ZogSports? December 2012
3. Guilty Pleasure? Sweets!!! I love cookies, cakes, donuts, and other desserts even though I shouldn’t be eating them lol
4. Hometown? Detroit, MI
5. Hidden Talent? I am secretly a comedian and have thought about doing stand-up.
6. Favorite Sports Team? I don’t have just one lol…All Detroit Professional Teams (Pistons, Tigers, Lions), Lakers and Michigan State Basketball and Football
7. If you were a drink, what would it be? Why? Cognac on the rocks, because I’m dark, strong, and smooth! lol
8. Funniest ZogSports Memory? There was a rain-out during softball season. The field was muddy and unplayable, but the teams didn’t want to leave. So they stayed hung out, played a little (unofficially) and slid around in the mud for an hr or so.
9. If someone wrote a biography about you, what do you think the title should be? Why? Veni Vidi Vici (I came, I saw, I conquered). That would be the title because in everything I do, I try to be the best, takeover and leave a lasting impression!
10. What’s on your mouse pad? I don’t have a mouse pad, maybe I should get one. (calling IT now to get one brought to my office)
11. If you could only bring three things with you to an island, what would they be? A woman (my girlfriend if Beyonce wasn’t available jk), a bottle of my liquor, and a boat so when we are ready to leave the island we can!
12. Which celebrity would you love to meet? Why? Jay Z. I appreciate, respect and admire his grind. To grow from an inner-city impoverished youth, to a successful entertainer and business man with his hand in a number of different ventures. And on top of all of that he’s married to Beyonce, has to be great!
13. Favorite Sneakers? I have a few: Jordan Retro X’s (all colors), Gucci Brown Leather GG Canvas Sneakers, Prada All Black Patent Leather Low-Top America Cup Sneakers… I love shoes!!!
14. If you had 3 wishes, what would you wish for? Wish 1: To be rich, Wish 2: To be happily successful, Wish 3: An unlimited amount of wishes
15. What’s your favorite joke? Why did the chicken cross the road?
16. What’s the worst present you’ve ever received? All white briefs (underwear) for Christmas
17. Fav food? Chicken… any kind of chicken!!!
18. Beer Pong or Flip Cup? Beer Pong, but with liquor instead of beer
19. Have you ever been in a newspaper or on tv? If so, where? Was in the newspaper all the time back in Detroit in high school for sports. Was on TV and in the newspaper in East Lansing and the state of Michigan for my efforts as a student at Michigan State trying to get a piece of legislation called “Medical Amnesty” supported passed in the State of Michigan
20. Best vacation you’ve ever been on? Why? Carnival Cruise 2 years ago to Key West, Oho Rios and Grand Cayman. Cruises are the best types of vacation if you just want to relax, see a bunch of different places briefly, and eat and drink until you are ready to explode!
Next up on our 20 Questions series is ZogSportsNYC ref, Leah Johanson. When she isn’t on the Zog football fields or reffing cornhole in the bar, you might just spot her taking names during flip cup or cheering for the Patriots.
20 Questions continues with one of our awesome ZogSportsNYC football refs, Carlos Hawkins! If you’re not Zogging with C-Hawk, he might be watching his favorite reruns of Sex and the City or cheering for the New York Jets. Check out what Carlos revealed to Zog!
1) What sport do you ref? Football
2) When did you start working at ZogSports? Oh goodness, can’t remember the start date! (guess it’s been that long!)
3) Hometown? Queens, NY
5) Got any hidden talents? Cooking
6) What is all time favorite sports team? New York Jets
7) If you were a drink, what would it be? Whiskey on the rocks
8) What is your funniest ZogSports memory? That moment when you get tagged while your shorts are coming down and slip on the track after you scored. (#awkward)
9) Any childhood nicknames? C Hawk (like the bird)
10) If someone wrote a biography about you, what do you think the title should be? The Big Brother
11) Quick! What’s the last thing you ate? Sweet Potato Fries
12) If you could only bring three things with you to an island, what would they be? 1) Beer 2) Sunscreen 3) Biographies
13) Which celeb would you love to meet? Angelina Jolie
14) Think fast! Beer Pong or Flip Cup? Beer Pong!
15) What are you currently listening to? Jagged Little Pill. Yep I totally just threw it way back with some Alanis!!
16) If you had 3 wishes, what would you wish for? 1) Give every Lois Lane a hug 2) Catch a football pass from a NFL quarterback 3) Have a house in every corner of the country
17) What is your favorite joke? Anything that Sheldon Cooper says from “The Bing Bang Theory”…bazinga!!
18) What’s the worst present you’ve ever received? A gift card…to IHOP. Sheesh!
19) What’s your favorite Thanksgiving dish? Bacon wrapped asparagus
20) Is the glass half full or half empty? The glass is half full